Tuesday 6/25 Start 11am End 8:30pm Mile 906.7 to 924
– Left hostel with Braveheart
– Got on trolley in Mammoth at 9am at hostel
– Arrived back at Red’s Meadow at 10:20am — full bus, got motion sick 😦
– Matan and Halana Matata also on bus (Israeli hikers)
– Hiked with Braveheart all day
– Got lost in the beginning, took wrong trail near Rainbow Falls and got 1.5 miles off PCT 😦
– Hard day — lots of climbing — wet shoes/feet
– Ran into Squid, Bandleader, Songbird, Banana Ripper on the trolley
– Not very scenic until just before Thousand Island Lake (where we cooked dinner)
– Squid who was just slightly ahead of us saw a big black bear just 30 yards off trail — we didn’t see him, just walked right past
– Tomorrow is Donahue Pass!
Thursday 6/27 8:33 am Tuolumne Meadows
I arrived here in Tuolumne yesterday at 4:15pm with Braveheart. We did 20 miles from 8am to 4:15pm — woohoo! Granted, it was only a one easy pass day (Donahue Pass) 11,000 feet by mile 6 of the day. The rest of the day (after mile 6) was so easy, downhill then flat, following the river to the campground. The campground was the first place we hit, and it was full! We walked through it about .5 mile to the road (Hwy 120) where we quickly found the most popular spot of the place: store, post office and grill 🙂 We were told that things closed at 5, so we hurried to order some grill food and buy a few things from the store. I ordered a double cheeseburger with fries and bacon, ice cream, and coconut water from the store. SOOOO good! I also bought some more fuel, some cheese and carrots for tomorrow, and some candy. Braveheart also bought us a 6 pack of beer to share: Awahnee Amber from Mammoth Brewing Co. Pretty good! I enjoyed “dinner” with him, along with Songbird and Banana Ripper, with many other hikers nearby. We didn’t head over to the campground until 7:30!
Last night I spent most of the evening talking to Frazier on the phone (yay for wilderness phone reception!) trying to figure out logistics for tomorrow when he comes to meet me to hike. We need to figure out where to park the car safely for a week, where there will be a bear box and no cost. I also need to figure out (want) where to take a shower today. I am pretty miserable from being bitten by mosquitoes 😦 I have about 50 bites on my legs, arms, back and face. Guess I need to use more Deet, which I hate. Plus, I’m sticky from the bug spray and anti itch creme. So, I really would like a shower. But I’ll live without one I suppose 🙂 I think we will park the car at either the campground here if it’s not too pricey, or Tuolumne Lodge. We will see!